One helpful tip per day:)
Last December, Dan Wang spent a month in Chiang Mai, where he participated in the Walk and Talk event organized by Kevin Kelly and Craig Mod - a seven-day trek covering 100 kilometers. This walk inspired him to continue writing his annual letters, and what he shares here is his 2023 annual letter, which is divided into two parts, one about China and the other about the United States:
- The mountains in Northern Thailand and Southwest China are popular retreats for many people.
- In 2023, more people "fled" out, with the top choices being three Asian countries - entrepreneurs ran to Singapore, those who could afford it went to Japan, and those seeking a retreat went to Thailand.
- Many of the Chinese who fled to Thailand are in their early 20s, seeking to reclaim the three years they lost. Despite this, many are afraid to tell their parents that they have gone to Thailand.
- Those who fled to Thailand are also uncertain whether they will stay there permanently, and even more uncertain about where their true home is.
- Looking back, Southeast Asia has always been a preferred destination for those seeking a retreat, starting from the Taiping Rebellion.
- In the early 20th century, more than half of Bangkok's population was Chinese, and even now, 10-15% of Thailand's population is of Chinese descent.
- In 2023, China's car exports surpassed Japan to become the world's largest, mainly composed of electric vehicles, a success attributed to the battery industry's layout over a decade ago.
- Despite some manufacturing moving abroad, China will still dominate the manufacturing sector in the coming years.
- In 2022, China's shipbuilding accounted for half of the global total, while the United States only had 0.2%.
- Although both the political and business sectors in the U.S. understand that attracting high-tech talent is key to maintaining competitiveness, visa policies for high-tech talents haven't changed much.
- China has been open for 40 years, and a return to isolationism is impossible.
If you enjoy today's sharing, why not subscribe
Want a smoother immigration experience, please try our AwesomeVisa
去年12月，Dan Wang 在清迈度过了一个月，他参加了 Kevin Kelly 和 Craig Mod 组织的 Walk and Talk 活动 -- 七天走了100公里。这次步行激发他继续写年度之信，这里分享的就是他写的 2023 年度之信，主要分为两部分，第一部分谈中国，第二部分谈美国：
- 2023年有更多的人“润”了出来，首选的是亚洲三国 -- 像创业的跑到了新加坡，已经有条件的跑到了日本，想避世的跑到了泰国；